Translate

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Blessed and Holy: Understanding Them Better through Luke 10:25-28 (Things - Part 5 of 5)

When it comes to the definition of holy it is important to understand the meaning of each option on a common sense level or slightly higher level at most.  This has been largely overlooked in some of the quirky distinctions of definition on the part of some writers on the topic. The most comical in my mind is the distinction between whether one is separated from something or separated to something.  I doubt very much that qadosh in Hebrew communicates such a subtle point.  It shows the great lengths some will go to in trying to fix obvious problems with a definition.  I find it much better to try to simplify definitions rather than complicate them. 

For me, there are five fairly basic classes that words fall into.  They are:

1) Amounts,
2) Relationships,
3) Wholes
4) Actions
5) Things

In following the idea of set apart, the distinction is usually that of relationships.  Sometimes it is also seen as a separate thing from sin. 

[Sorry the day has gotten late and it is time for me to conclude.  I hope to be able to revisit this post next week based on a change in my writing schedule.  My new goal is to now write on week for each of 5 days and then return the next week to tidy up any writing that was left incomplete.]


In Christ,

Jon




No comments: