Translate

Friday, April 11, 2014

Blessed and Holy: Understanding it Better Through Exodus 34 (Train Actions - Part 4 of 5)

PREFACE

We hear people sing "take time to be holy" and "bless you".  Does anyone know what those 2 actions mean?  Christians say, "hallowed be your name" in the Lord's Prayer over and over.  Does anyone really know how to hallow or how to make holy a name?  Does anyone know why to hallow or make holy should happen?   I think those, who can answer one or both of these questions, are rare people.  If you can get me their addresses and phone #s, then please do so.  I'd like to sign them up for my ministry team!  Can anyone train me in how to be holy?  What does sanctified as an action look like?  So based on what I think are the answers out there, it looks like we do need some training. 

As a former coach of 5 different sports (and later an athletic director, as well), I cannot possibly overlook the need for the skill of training alongside other skills like teaching.  While great coaches can also be great teachers, the one thing that they absolutely must be is an effective trainer.  They must teach their players skills or know-how as well as offer motivations for those actions.  I cannot imagine being a successful coach without being able to do both.  In Scripture, we find both methods and purposes for actions.  One simple example, "We love [how] him, because [why] he first loved [how] us".   We even learned our training in love from his love of us. But when have we offered love classes?  I don't remember that training?  When both methods and purposes are taught well, then you find people eager to be trained and to act. 

That is what I discovered as a coach.  But I also learned a set of criteria for eagerness that was expressed in a real estate training magazine that I found, while I was a part-time real estate agent.  It was my way of earning money to pay for studying at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA.  


                                              The Entrance to One of the Buildings at Fuller

In the business world, like in the sports world, you get paid for results.  The score is kept differently with the currency of money rather than the play money of points, but the goal was still to win.  When I ran across the article, I knew the article was a difference maker.  It was different from any other training that I had been trained in as either an athlete or as a coach.  I'd never even heard this set of words grouped together before like they were in this convenient set.  I'd obviously heard them separately many times.  Since first hearing the set then, I have repeatedly improved what I learned from the article and I have organized it to be a more effective training tool.  If anything, I wish I used it more often.

As a coach, you want players who are eager to play or better yet to work with you and not work against you.  As a real estate agent, you want clients who are eager to buy or better yet to work with you and not work against you.  In real estate, the criteria for a strong prospect is as follows:

1) ready,
2) willing, and
3) able.



                                                     What all Sales People Ought to Know


Back in the early 90s, they were likely in that neat order. I have the article still among my things somewhere. But also the list lacked a critical fourth element.  I'd learned to look for that fourth element following my training with Tentmakers, Inc. in Hopkins, MN.   There I learned a number of practical tools, but also how to identify complete ones.


                                       The Logo for the Tentmakers organization I am referring to


It took me a long time, but eventually in the last few years, I have added that a strong prospect is someone who is also aware or seeing.  They can't be blind to what they are looking for in the process.  A real estate prospect, who cannot envision or point to the kind of house they are looking for, could turn out to be a weaker prospect, even if they are ready, willing, and able.  In selling, agents are not given much time to train prospects, except by the very best prospects, so they usually get impatient with customers who are not strong ones or who are not able to become strong ones.  So I now say that a strong prospect consists of someone who is:

1) ready,
2) willing,
3) able, and
4) seeing.

That kind of prospect is a prime one, just as that kind of player is a prime player for a coach.  Both are eager to take action.  They are not there to study something more, but to act using the strength that they already possess.   That is why they are eager.  Strong people by nature are eager people.  Weak people by nature are not eager people.

The next closest to these kinds would be those who possess 3 out of 4 of the criteria and are eager to seek the last criteria, the next would possess 2 out of 4 with eagerness too seek the other 2, etc.  You get the idea.

I think Scripture also takes those who are eager and frees them for action or it trains those who cannot yet act on their own to act and to also act with a sense of motivation.  This is where a second tool (that again, I wish I used more frequently) becomes very useful.  It is a chart of pre-effect and post-effect with their respective non-action and action steps. 

In Exodus, which is a great action book, by the way, there are a number of actions that can be described in terms of pre-action, pre-effect, during action, developing effect, post-action, and post-effect.  I actually got this tool from a computer geek, who noticed how helpful this scheme was for breaking down computer processes.  I wish I knew it years ago as a coach.  (Since that wish is not possible, maybe I should just go back to coaching and do it better since that is possible.)


EXODUS: DIRECT APPLICATION


[This is being worked out and I will eventually be able to cut and paste to this entry a chart that lists each pre-effect, pre-action, etc.  I hope it is not too long before I get it up.  Much of what I am writing now is in a draft state, as is this piece, but still needs a little tweaking to even be a first draft.]


Sincerely,

Jon






No comments: