Translate

Friday, February 28, 2014

Holy: Understanding It Better Through Understanding Persuasion Better

We can all be really gullible sometimes.  The discussion surrounding the meaning of LORD/Yahweh, blessed, and holy all clearly demonstrate the danger.  This danger is aggravated or heightened by the fact that each of these words are critical to understanding God's Word as a whole.  When I ask people around me about how they discern an expert opinion from one that is not, they tell me they are very confused by all the different opinions.  I personally know the feeling, but I also know a way out from all the different views and how to find a viable agreement among the experts. 

Let me first remove some gullibility by explaining how you and I are persuaded by others.  When you know how people persuade you, then it dramatically reduces your gullibility and makes you able to make your own decisions.  How you are persuaded is not necessarily evil.  It is like someone who knows any skill.  It can be used or abused.  It can be used for people's own selfish ends or for ends that advance not only selfish ends but the other's ends as well.  Any skill can become something that conforms to love your neighbor as much as yourself.  So persuasion as a skill does not always have to lead to love myself more than I love my neighbor.  So what we need to know is when people are abusing persuasion skillfully and when they are using persuasion skillfully.

In The Complete Idiot's Guide to Persuasion, the author uses the analogy of a cascade to illustrate how persuasion works.  He identifies this sequence to bring about a communication cascade toward persuasion.  The steps are:

1) reception
2) processing
3) response, and
4) behavior.

So if these are the steps, let me give you the simplest explanation of each.  I will get you a one sentence definition of each.  Here is each one:

1) reception - it is the first dawn of awareness that there is something new out there and it needs to saturate communities with its message  (ex. 2004 is when I first heard something new about holy - that it can mean moral wholeness and I found it in lots of communities of faith)

2) processing - it is discerning whether the light bulb in your receiver's mind is bright or dim and realizing that sometimes people are highly willing (the light bulb burns brightly) and other times not so much so (the light bulb burns dimly), so you have to move the dimmer switch to burn more brightly before there will be willing processing to maintain and make time for what is needed (ex. for the next 10 years, I processed the idea of moral wholeness and other ideas related to holy)

3) response - it is that point when the processing turns to action through demonstrating a favorable outcome through key motivators like easy, fun, and popular.  The author here recognizes that we are adults, so the geek speak or adult equivalent for each of these is self-efficacy, attitude, and norms.  The message has to create strong intentions or goals and strong motivators.  (ex. it was easy [I could do it] using Eugene Nida's word classes to play around [attitude] with possible meanings for holy looking for the one that ought to be popular [fit the norm of biblical])

4) behavior - this is where a TACTful view is required according to this author by getting very specific about behavior, not just a generic response.  Unfortunately, the author is not specific enough to satisfy a high school level mind, so I will add to their "TACTful view" a more "TACTFUL VIEW".  Here it goes:

T) Target - who?
A) Action - how?
C) Context - where?
T) Time - when?
F) Fun - why?
U) Uncommon - which?
L) Label - what?
V) Vigorous - whole?
I) Intense - how many?
E) Enough - how much?
W) Way - all the way through all 10 of these or persuasion behavior will fail

Unfortunately, many people are persuaded even with huge gaps in answering these questions that the mind requires answers to before it finds what it is looking for ultimately.  So if you want to avoid gullibility, then avoid persuasion that leaves you feeling these are not questions they answer, but questions they leave out.  Even today, as I write, this one entry should not a case make.  You need to read other of my entries too (read the newest first!).  The only case I am making today that might be fully persuasive is that this is how persuasion works for the good (and unfortunately sometimes to the bad). 

So each step of the persuasion cascade is how our words as persuaders cascade all the way into full blown behavior on every level - heart, soul, strength, and mind.  So let me move from this common communication cascade of persuasion to one of the specifics of the meanings of LORD/Yahweh, blessed, and holy,  It does no good, if nothing if I am not specific at this point about my behavior.

As I look at things, I sense right now (and I am gathering wise counsel at this point) the need to write a book and a paper on the topics of the three most important words in the Bible - LORD/Yahweh, blessed, and holy.  The reason is because even though the internet is a wonderful way to gain reception in the world, it does not gain reception in some of the places that I would like my writing to gain reception.  I would like scholars to hear what I have to say.  I would like pastors to hear what I have to say.  I would like lay people to hear what I have to say.  Especially the last, since they are so numerous and I want heaven filled with people!  Reception is a little harder to get than just writing on the internet alone.  You also have to be persuasive! 

A more popular book for pastors is where I think I should begin, since that type of speech communication comes easiest to me.  The next would be the write to the scholarly community, because they are critical in a discussion of who really has expertise.  And by expertise, I hope part of it is persuasive expertise.  Finally, I want to speak anytime I can and write to the average person, because there is a lot more of them than the first two categories making them immensely important.  But I think that they have the right to see me earn my wings of expertise too.  It does no good if they see me ducking the tough (fun!) road of ministry professionals and seminary scholars.  There may be other means, but so far it appears those two pieces are needed to be specific enough to get the job done. 

In the meantime, keep in your mind the three major scholarly opinions for the biblical meaning of holy: 1) moral wholeness, 2) purity, and 3) set apart.  Treasure all three and do not let anyone take any one of the three from your mind of discovery.  Receive it don't let anyone steal any of them.  I'll need something a little longer to make my case for the biblical understanding of holy (and the others), but Lord willing it is coming given time.  May God bless your day.

In Christ,

Jon


No comments: