Translate

Friday, February 22, 2013

Holy: Understanding it Better Through the Biblical Words for Whole

I'm sure you have arrived at my blog in search for the meaning of holy.  Let me say this from the top.  If you want your questions answered like "snappy answers to stupid questions", then you have arrived at the wrong place.  It is my intention to give thoughtful answers to great questions.  The answer to your great question: "What is the meaning of holy in the Bible?" requires more than a snappy (clever) answer.  It requires that you be aware of more than one option (pure, set apart, whole), that you research the topic, and that you draw a conclusion based on principles (not banners or bandwagons).  This entry, I think, will be one of the most important entries, because it is not just important to understand the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek behind the words translated as holy; but it is also important to understand the biblical meanings for each of the three options listed above.  The option that  I will explore in this case is the biblical meaning of whole and the biblical words for it. 

Let's start out with the Hebrew word kol (Strong's # 3605) and Greeke word holos (Strong's # ...).  

(I'll get back to this as time allows.  Thank you for your patience.  Please examine some of my other entries.  Thank you.)

No comments: