Translate

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Blessed and Holy: Understanding Them Both Better Through Improving our Mental Health

I know you are likely checking out this blog to find the definition of holy.  I won't disappoint, if you can wait until I give the issue some context and then give you a definition in the third paragraph.

You may have noticed lately that in the United States there is a mental health crisis.  The mass shootings with a concluding suicide in our schools and elsewhere is only the tip of the iceberg.  Insanity is much deeper in our society than meets the eye. I would conclude that 90% of the insanity is not even noticed except to the trained observer, who knows that what is happening above the surface and is obvious is only a small part of a bigger problem.  I agree with those who say that health is the next big issue that faces us in the coming of age of our times.  Mental health is only one part, but a significant part toward all types of health.  Blessed and holy are words that actually have a lot to say about that bigger picture of health or being wbole, but it is being missed due to a poor job of defining both words.  I do believe that this problem starts with poor mental health.

I think most of us would agree that a mentally healthy person is healthy both emotionally and logically. Likewise a mentally healthy person or sane person has more credibility than a mentally unhealthy or insane person who has little credibility.  In fact, the significant feature we like in any person is that they are mentally credible.  You can rely on what they say.  The problem is that you cannot always rely on what is given as the definition of blessed and holy.  I am not going to go into detail in this post, but let me state what I believe is the definition for blessed and then for holy that has the most credibility.  Then I will give you some direction for finding that credibility.  So the definition of blessed that I find is most credible is that of "I am who I am".  It is a character trait of a person being who they are consistently.  There is no variance.  What people don't realize is that the popular definition of blessed of "blessings" is not the definition of blessed but its significance.  If you are who you are, then will reap blessing as a consequence.  "Blessed are the peacemakers" is because they are "peacemakers" and not war mongers.  So how about the definition of holy that I find most credible.  I find moral or ethical wholeness to be the best definition.  What is missed is that meaning is not the same as definition.  One of the meaning is that of significance and that is where "set apart" fits.  But it is not the definition of the word, a different kind of meaning.

So where can you find evidence for what I am saying.  Let me begin with this blog.  In my past posts up until very recently, you will find a lot of arguments from biblical texts, etc.  What they boil down to is that I am saying that the definition of "set apart" is illogical.  It is not mentally healthy in that sense. It has as many holes as Swiss cheese.  You will not find much on the emotional aspect that is also very important.  I owe everyone an apology for that, because it is a key component of being mentally healthy and spotting mental illness.

Let me give you an example.  I am going to leave out nay names to keep what I have to say anonymous, but what I am describing actually happened while I was a student in one of my three seminaries that I have attended.  I wanted to present my argument for the definition of holy in all its grand glory in an Old Testament class.  Fortunately for me, I had a very smart colleague in the class who warned me "not to put strange fire on the altar".   Here's what he meant.  I would not get a good grade and it would not be pretty in class if I were to present a definition for holy that was contrary to my professor's definition for holy.   In other words, there would not be a great dialogue on this topic.  He was exactly right.  I did a much more tempered approach and got a reluctant OK from the professor.  Emotionally, this is not a good sign.  It should have been that I could present a well-reasoned argument that would get full consideration in a calm and peaceful atmosphere.  I think my classmate was right to see that emotionally I was only going to get some level of anger for what I said.

This is not how it should be in seminary.  I was not going to present a view that it anywhere near to some classical heresy.  In fact, I would have been introducing a kind of classical orthodoxy from Luther to Spurgeon in the Protestant perspective, which is what this seminary belonged to at its core.  So there was not an openness to a mentally healthy dialogue between competing views, but a sense of subtle suggestion that it would be treated like "strange fire on the altar".

From nearly the earliest part of my writing 10 years ago, I have known about the logical issues.  But now I realize their are emotional issues as well that need to be faced and not ignored.  We need healthy people who know the basics of mental health.  They need to know the feelings of:

!) Acceptance versus shame
2) Joy versus grief
3) Emulation versus jealousy
4) Confidence versus fear
5) Peace versus anger

Now the second examples in each case are not in all cases to be avoided.  We need those emotions too.  But these are not ones we should take pleasure in.  Remember that statement: "Rejoice not that your enemy has fallen, but that your names are written in heaven.  Our joy becomes a double joy when we share it with others.  That is a reason for pleasure.  But what pleasure should there be in separation from an enemy.  Should that predominate?  I don't think so.

I think you also see this in Paul's advice in Ephesians where we are told to: "Be angry, and sin not".  So how do we do that?  We "do not let the sun go down on our anger".  Instead, we go to be in peace rather than anger.  So what is the benefit of that?  We "do not give the devil an opportunity".  See, if we cannot discuss definitions without negative emotions predominating, we are giving the devil a foothold.  We are not helping one another.

I think it is good advice when people disagree on the meanings of words that we don't go to sleep with shame, grief, jealousy, fear, or anger.  At some point we have to realize these are those emotions that while necessary, we should not get pleasure from them.  This is what I think Luther realized, when he said that 'anger" was for God an alien thing.  Sometimes God has to get angry, but we have to remember he does not enjoy it.

So I do think that to have a mentally healthy definition of blessed and holy, you have to consider not just the issues of logical versus illogical, but also the issues of emotional versus ill emotional.  Was it right to consider in seminary a classic definition of holy as strange fire?  I don't think it was.  But behind it was an emotion of both fear for the students and anger for the teacher.  At least, I think that his what my wise fellow classmate was trying to tell me.

Let's rise now to a healthy level.  Let's rise to both healthy emotions and healthy logic.  Then we can all take pleasure in mental health while we take not pleasure in mental illness.  We also then too might get the definition of blessed and holy right as well as each definition's significance and meaning in that sense.  Have a great night and remember healthy emotions before bed.  Soak them up and sleep well.  Ah, the devil will hate you for that.  Pleasure only in the good?  Take care.

In Christ,


Jon

No comments: