Translate

Monday, May 19, 2014

Blessed and Holy: Understanding Them Better Through 1 Kings 18 as the Text and Now Your Testimony

People want to know things like definitions for certain.  That is an admirable desire on high importance topics like blessed and holy.  The problem is that the same people don't know how to get there.  The same people who want certainty also can get trapped in wavering rather than knowing.  Knowing the meanings of blessed and  holy for certain, as found in Genesis 2:1-3, requires something that most lexicons and scholars don't provide.  They don't test the meanings of these words from inside the text.

Instead, they test the meaning of each word from outside the text.  They use etymology (in some instances when they claim they don't) or they use cognate languages (these are languages like French in relation to English).  I don't think that either one of these tests is very valid or certain.  If you want reasonable certainty on a very important set of topics, then a lexicon or reading another 100 scholars won't get  you there.  The way to know something for certain over another possibility is to test what is true and humble versus what is false and proud.  But it has to be a complete test.  So how do we get to a better place and time, where and when we know for certain the meaning of blessed and holy?  I got an answer for that.  Read on.

I think the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal in 1 Kings 18 shows how to get past various the many opinions on the meanings of blessed and holy.  I'm going to present the story in the following format of questions:

1) What are the numbers?  (to form judgments)  (i.e. must be)
2) What is the test?  (to form testimonies)  (i.e. will be)
3) What are complete guidelines?  (to form laws)  (i.e. wants to be)
4) What is  the action?  (to form commandments)  (i.e. can be)
5) What is the thing?  (to form statutes)  (i.e. let be)

Before I continue let me present the major opinions I think are worth considering on the definition (one of three kinds of meaning) of holy:

1) "set apart" (by far the most popular in the last 100 years, but not previously)
2) "pure" (made popular in groups like the Puritans, but that is no surprise)
3) "moral wholeness" (the most popular of the last 500 years in Protestant theology)

I believe the latter wins after a thorough testing and experimentation.  But for the testing to be successful there must be many testifiers, not just many experiments.  Too many times we think of them as the same thing. Read on and see the difference.


What are the numbers?  Let me stack up the numbers for you first.  Do you remember the story of Elijah?  He asks the people for a test.  He asks for a time out.  He says, "How long will you continue to waver between two opinions?"  The people like his idea for ending their wavering.  So here is how it went #s wise.

Baal's prophets, Yahweh's prophet

1)  2 opinions, 1 opinion
2)  400 reps/prophets of Baal, 1 rep/prophet for Yahweh (Elijah)
3)  1 altar for Baal, 1 altar for Elijah
4)  the whole community assembled as testers/witnesses, the whole community assembled as testers/witnesses
5)  Only fire from heaven, only fire from heaven.
6)  many slashings leading to bleeding, not even one slashing
7)  0 gallons of water, excess gallons of water
8)  Very dry wood, very wet wood

I think you can tell that Elijah is not even worried about the odds being stacked against him in this test.  He knows there are two options: 1) a guaranteed decline or failure, which is why he makes fun of them, and 2) an uncertain possibility, which he believes will test out just fine.

I likewise am not at all bothered by the numbers.  The number of lexicons means little to nothing, if they all are just Xerox copies of each other.  The answers that lexicons, dictionaries, word studies, newer scholarship, older scholarship, and church leaders give wavers between opinions.

So what is the test?  Let me stack up the test for you.  The test is what will be your opinion here and now.  Notice that Elijah is not willing to deal with further procrastination on their part.  Their desire to avoid the topic in the here and now is seen in his primary question: "How long will you waver between two opinions?"

Here is my breakdown on the place and time:

Baal's prophets, Yahweh's prophet

1) at present they go to worship Baal and Yahweh, Elijah wants them to go to worship only Yahweh,
2)  they have perhaps in even the same building worship to each, Elijah wants them to have separate worship,
3)  they want to continue waiting, Elijah wants the waiting to stop,
4)  they have put off agreeing to test each view at a place and time, Elijah asks them for a test at a place and time - a here and now test (very shortly)
5) they have gotten comfortable with their uncertainty (wavering), Elijah wants them to rid themselves of their uncertainty  (He wants them to say: "As for me and my house we will serve Yahweh".
6)  apparently they have been putting the place of decision off for a long time, Elijah wants the time out to end so they can get back to action,
7)  procrastination, urgency
8)  traveling from place to place, finding their place

What Elijah asked for and what he got from the people was a test.  That is all he needed from the witnesses.  He needed one agreed upon place and time when they could all testify to the results.  He alone as a witness was not enough.  He wanted maximum testing or witnessing.  They made a covenant or bond with Elijah that they would be witnesses to a test.  It is no test to hear the testimony of only one witness.  That is all that I am.  He did not give them any guarantees except that he would be present, when Yahweh proved who he was.  They agreed to the same place and time as Elijah and they did not require certainty from him in advance, but rather they sought certainty after the test where they were present to testify.  Maybe their wavering was directly a result of their desire to have guarantees in advance, rather than waiting for til the time that they could testify to guarantee what was true and humble.  

The difficulty in the present, especially regarding holy's definition is that the tests are quasi-tests.  The are not tests that give you a great deal of certainty.  In fact, as scholars have assessed the definition of holy more recently, the tests are coming back more uncertain than previously.  The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (the grandest work on the Hebrew language) casts serious doubt on the etymological argument for "set apart".  It also made the courageous step of leaving out cognate (other language) material and relying primarily on the Hebrew language internally.  

I am afraid that the one test of blessed and holy has not really been performed up to here and now standards.  Since James Barr, no one has written a full blown test for the definition of holy after he successfully unseated the argument from etymology alone.  (He did not say it has no value, but he does say its value is limited.)  That is what I am trying to do otherwise in this blog and in an upcoming book.  I want to set the stage for a grand test of definitions of blessed and holy.  .

So what is complete?  What is complete is playing by all the laws.

I think the laws for Elijah and the prophets might have been something like this:

Baal's prophets, Yahweh's prophet

1)  no stranger fire other than from heaven, no strange fire other than from heaven,
2)  Prayers are permitted, prayers are permitted
3)  We can play with up to 400 players against Elijah by himself, I will permit them to have 400 as long as I can play
4)  bleeding and slashing is permitted, heckling is permitted without any need for physical violence
5)  There is no requirement to use green or wet wood, wet wood will be used that goes beyond required
6)  Baal gets to go first based on the "coin toss", Elijah will go second based on the same "coin toss"
7)  The contest will continue until a side gets the result of a fire.  Elijah continues until fire arrives
8)  If Baal wins then everyone is to go with him, if Yahweh wins then everyone is to go with him


What is the action?  What is the action is the experiment.

I think the rules for Elijah the prophets of Baal and the crowd of spectators were these:

Baal's prophets, Yahweh's prophet

1)  no matches were allowed (that is cheating), no matches were allowed (that is cheating)
2)  each side was to set up their own altar, each side was to set up their own altar
3)  each side was to ask their god to send fire from heaven, each side was to ask their god to send fire from heaven
4)  the action of the people of Israel was to be witnesses, the action of the people was to be witnesses
5)  neither side could sell money back guarantees in advance, neither side could sell money back guarantees
6)  the guarantee came after the experiment, the guarantee came after the experiment
7)  certainty would come from knowing the results following the experiment, certainty would come from knowing the results after the experiment,
8)  prayers and blood-letting allowed, prayers allowed but no blood-letting except from animals


To sum it up, it is to set up an experiment and perform it.  To be specific about the definitions of blessed an holy, I have only given a rough sketch of the experiment mainly for the definition of holy.  I still have a lot of writing to do and a lot of writing that is not on my blog yet.  I have thought it all through in my own mind and I already know the outcome for me personally.  But that does not mean there are many testimonies to that definition.

I knew holy's definition with certainty and personally back in November 2013.  Before that time, mainly the last 10 years, I knew through experimenting that there were lots of problems with the etymological argument arriving at "set apart" as the definition (one of three kinds of meaning).  I also knew that in the last 500 years that the Christian church and even the Jewish synagogue are divided on its meaning.  My question is a lot like Elijah's: "Why are satisfied with procrastinating between so many opinions?"  So I have begun the experiment that people can give witness to on-line.  I want witnesses.  I am not doing this in the dark somewhere.  I am doing it in the light of everywhere and at hyper-speed.   These are the twin advantages of the internet.  

Let me illustrate the importance of experimenting and not just guessing in our brains.  This is how I used experimenting just this morning (5/19/14).  .

So this morning, I did not know where my coffee or tea cup had disappeared to.  Rather than waver too long as to where it might be, I started out by experimenting with where it might be.  I had a few opinions in my mind.  I experimented first with the location of the passenger's side seat in my car.  I seemed to recall that the solution to this mystery had some connection with my car.  Well, it wasn't there.  Then I decided, let's re-check the kitchen looking in the open at the counter space and then in the cupboard.  I didn't find it there either.  Then I checked the other lower probability rooms.like the living room, etc.  Still, no success.  Then upon returning to the kitchen, I spotted where it was most likely hidden.  I noticed that I had not emptied my lunch container from the day before.  Than I recalled also that there was something I had placed in there the day before that was unusual for me. It was then that I opened the packet and there it was!  I found in truth where my cup was located and I also have to admit humbly that I did not know were it was with certainty until that moment.  No mental experiment was as good as finishing the experiment by opening the bag.

The problem is that too many people rely on their minds and not on their souls.  They think of knowledge as something that is mind-based rather than relationship-based.  I now realize for myself more than ever that knowledge in the Bible makes a lot more sense as a term of intimacy as one of my professors once called it.  I think his idea leans in the right direction.  Where and when will we be?  That is where and when we shall know.  No elsewhere and not any time before.

I also found my cup fairly fast, because I tested my theories rather than tried to just think my way into certainty in advance.  This is, I think, a great mistake by many people.  They don't just do it - experiment that is.  Peter Drucker taught me, through one of his books many years ago, the superiority of this method of experimenting.  People who are unsure need to experiment, to paraphrase his advice.



What is the thing?  No longer wavering between two opinions as to which one is god.  It is either Baal or it is Yahweh.  Which one shows that he is God?

 Let me stack up the things for you at last:

Baal's prophets, Yahweh's prophet

1)  fire from heaven will demonstrate that Baal is god, fire from heaven will demonstrate that Yahweh is god
2)  we don't believe that any human being can command fire from heaven, we don't believe that any human being can command fire from heaven
3)  the demonstration has to be something that we cannot do ourselves, the demonstration has to be something that we cannot do ourselves
4)  the demonstration cannot be subject to coincidence (fire from heaven during a lightning storm), the demonstration cannot be subject to coincidence (it has not even rained for a long time and there are no clouds)
5)  the demonstration can happen using wood that burns very easily, the demonstration can be with dry wood but let's make it more miraculous by adding water than no human being can overcome without trouble)
6)  our god will answer us while the people are still there, my god will answer even after part of the day is lost and the people might be starting to want to go back home
7)  our god surely knows he has a stake in this and hasn't been distracted, your god I think is distracted by the latreen while my god is still interested
8)  we think by slashing ourselves greater attention will come from our god, my god needs no such attention getting measures

Some at least have heard who the winner in this experiment was in terms of demonstrating which god was the God.  It was the god named Yahweh.  Elijah now had not only his own testimony, he also now had the testimony of the people of Israel.  No longer was it him alone while the crowds limped along.  I know that later in the story Elijah starts to feel sorry for himself all over again.  But notice that God reminds him that he is not the only prophet of Yahweh who did not bend the knee and he certainly too was no longer the only one to testify as to who is God among the people.  There were now many witnesses.

That is where every reader of this blog can make their mark. They can become witnesses of the things they have seen.  You can do it by leaving a comment to let others know you have witnessed what I have said.  Others can then add their testimony to yours.  I know that I am not alone.  I don't have Elijah's problem today at least.

So I would like the testifiers of truth and humility, people who wait until after the experiment and have stopped procrastinating, to join with me and start using my tools under my "communication tools" tab and to start reading my prior experiments in this blog.  You'll be surprised what you'll find once you kick procrastination to the back seat of the bus.  It is an absolute necessity to understand your importance as fellow connection, witness, and testifier, who waits truthfully and humbly for certainty.  Then you shall know and not before.  Ah, isn't it fun to stop procrastinating and instead begin to get things done?  Take care my fellow witnesses.


In Christ,

Jon

No comments: