Translate

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Holiness is Wholeness: According to the History of Christian Intelligence

I am hoping you are one of those people who wants to be sure of the meaning of the words in the Bible. I am also hoping you are hungry for God's Word because you are seeking Him for answers. That is the real drive behind my desire to know the meaning of holiness. It is nothing else, whatever may appear from what I write. So what is most disturbing for me ultimately is that time is passing in which people are not aware of the great advantages of knowing that holiness is wholeness.

One of the reasons people do not know that holiness means wholeness is because not everyone who claims to be an authority agrees on that point. Among those who disagree are some with a disrespect for the intelligence of the past. Among those with intelligence in the past are the five largest names in Protestant history: Martin Luther, John Calvin, Richard Hooker (perhaps arguable), John Wesley and Charles Spurgeon. These are major giants for: Lutheranism, Presybterianism (not to exlude the other Calvinist churches), Anglicanism (Episcopalians), Methodism and Baptists. I think that the intelligence of the past deserves respect that it has not received. And you do not have to show a level of respect that lapses into respect that only Scripture deserves to do this.

Let me explain further what I mean by not lapsing into respect that only the Bible or Scripture deserves. Intelligence is simply the ability to know what something is. For example, you tell a child, "This is a dog" while pointing to one. You tell them, "That is not a dog" while pointing to a cat. I am saying "This is wholeness" while I am pointing at the word holiness in the English Bible you read. Wholeness is also the point for a few others words connected to holiness like sanctification and hallowed.

I believe that these Reformers from the past were pointing out that holiness or sanctification had to do with wholeness, even if not always with equal clarity. We need to remember something about the Reformers. To be intelligent you do not have to be in portion equal to Scripture. You just need to reflect it, rather than oppose it. Its important to realize that they did not confuse dogs and cats like some assume in their criticism of the idea that holiness means wholeness.

Albert Einstein, in The World As I See It, had this to say: "The harmony of natural law ... reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection." The Scripture says that we see in a glass dimly (1 Cor. 13). So did the Reformers, yet their systematic thinking was a reflection of the Word of God, not an utterly worthless misguided effort. A reflection is a help toward face to face clarity. I think Scripture reflects a harmony that reveals an intelligence of incredible superiority, because all Scripture is God-breathed (1 Timothy). But I think we hinder recognition of that intelligence when we say that holiness is separation rather than holiness is wholeness.

Some recent Bible translators or scholars show no respect for past translations which recognized that holiness is wholeness. We also can also diminish respect for the Reformers of the past and exalt ourselves to some high place we do not deserve. We need to respect others according to Scripture, especially people who are our spiritual fathers in that they led us to Christ (1 Cor. 3). My heritage is something I really treasure for bringing me to Christ and knowing firmly I do not save myself.

I really want to stress caution because generally people are in too big of a rush on topics that are not clear. Slow down when you study this issue. It's not all real clear. Those that say holiness means separation admit in their more cautious moments that things are not clear. Don't let your mind be puffed up like an animal when threatened which puffs up its size beyond its true measure. Instead humble yourself (James 2) and persevere in the process of discovering what is a good definition in everyday language for holiness.

Scripture is the final arbitrator, and I know that as well as anyone. When I was growing up in my family, if I wanted to put forward my perspective, I also needed to know "chapter and verse," or I got no respect. So saying Spurgeon said it was not enough. Yet I also know something else from my family and teachers. I'm not the only one with intelligence nor the new one who possesses intelligence while those older ones had none. If I really possess intelligence, then I will not be the only one, but I will share it in common with everyone in a group of intelligent people.

The topic of holiness (or sanctification) was a major theme for everyone of the Reformers. They studied this topic. Everyone of them recognized this theme as right up there with whatever other theme they had, whether it be God's righteousness in Christ or God's goodness. Holiness was always there, shared by everyone one of them, while all the other themes were slightly different.

Holiness is wholeness could answer the cry of our age. Our world is crying out for wholeness, not just directly in those words, but practically and relevantly in day to day struggles. I hear the cry loud and clear! I've used it effectively in organizing many problems or concerns. I've first used it to make sense of all the things God has taught me as parts of my salvation. Check out the topic of wholenesss on the internet. Just be careful of some crys. They are not as healthy as others. You must know the difference between good and bad, not just dogs and cats.

In Christ,

Jon

No comments: